Cooks Illustrated, Published March 1, 1995. sent to us my member Lizzy. It looks good—I have had similar recipes and I always love the science behind the Cook’s Illustrated recipes.
- 1cup red lentils , picked over and rinsed
- 1teaspoon table salt
- 1pound kale , stemmed, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2cloves garlic , minced
· 2teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1. Bring lentils, 6 cups water, and salt to boil in medium saucepan; boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer until lentils are tender but still hold their shape, 20 to 25 minutes, adding kale during last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add next four ingredients; sauté to develop flavors, about 1 minute. Add garlic and ginger; sauté until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add lentils and kale and reserved cooking liquid. Simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve.